When someone dies because of another person’s negligence, the survivor’s family, relatives or close friends have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. The lawsuit seeks compensation for lost wages, the loss of companionship and expenses incurred from the loss. The lawsuit is filed against individuals, employers and government agencies. Wrongful death claims exist when the following happens:
- Victims succumb to serious injuries after car accidents
- A medical malpractice case where the doctor is careless in diagnosis or treatment of patients.
- There are times when the victim dies from defective products such as contaminated food and water.
Family members of the victim have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Financial dependants, life partners, parents, spouses and beneficiaries of the victim’s estate can seek our services so that we can represent them in the lawsuit.
There are three main damages that the beneficiaries can recover when their loved one dies because of negligence of another party:
- Economic damages: When the victim was contributing to the financial well being of the family, we will seek economical damages in the lawsuit. There are cases where the deceased is the sole bread winner of the family necessitating the need for the family to be compensated. Other economic damages will arise from medical expenses, funeral expenses, loss of pension and other covers and loss of inheritance.
- Non economic damages: We will seek for these damages. Some of them are loss of love, companionship, emotional anguish and loss of consortium.
- Punitive damages: These arise in cases where the defendant pays for damages because of bad conduct or malice. For instance, if the victim died because the defendant was angry and ran over him on the road, this is tantamount to punitive damages. This is awarded depending on the circumstances of the case.
As lawyers, we have the mandate to ensure that you recover from the loss of your loved one. Indeed losing a loved one takes a financial and emotional toll on the family. Our job is to make the process easy for you and to ease the burden that the funeral and other expenses bring to the family.
We will gather all the evidence to prove that indeed your loved one’s death was caused by negligence of the defendant. With expert witnesses and documentation, we will ensure that you are compensated. Contact us as soon as possible so that we can assist you to recover from the loss of your loved one.